Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Durians and Labor

I was never a fan of durian. However, my likings for durians got better once I got pregnant, thanks to my husband who IS a big, BIG fan of durian and kept introducing the fruit to me bit by bit until, well, I grow fond of it. :P

And one fateful night, it happened. I asked my husband if he wanted to have a go at the durians hut near Uptown foodcourt. Of course he didn't say no, and we walloped quite a bit of durians that night ; I think I had about 10 cloves or more that night!

On the way back, I felt this uneasy feeling in my tummy. I felt like doing my big business and, well, I did! Teehee. However, my tummy still felt uneasy then. And I felt my unborn baby tossed and turned every now and then. Call it mother's instinct, but somehow I knew something was up. Afraid that the durians I ate were making my baby "panas", immediately I asked Aien to bring me to the nearest clinic for a scan just to see if my baby is okay and that no umbilical cord is around his neck.

However while searching for the clinic, I was also monitoring my contractions. I remember from the Lamaze class I went, that periodic contraction is one of the signs for labor and well, the contractions I felt then was indeed every 10 mins. I was not due until another week, so I was quite unsure if the contractions I felt was really labor contractions or merely another Braxton Hicks contractions.

But we decided to go for a check in SJMC anyway just to see if everything is okay since the clinics were all closed (it was already 3AM then!). After registering, the midwife told me to lay down and make myself comfortable while she examined me. And sure enough, it was time – I was already 3cm dilated!


I got admitted at about 3.30am and waited until after Subuh at about 5.30am to break the good news to both of our families. :) In the meantime, my contractions were getting stronger and longer. By 1.30PM, I could not stand it any longer as the pain got unbearable and asked for an epidural. The midwife told me to hang in there while she examined me, and guess what? It was too late! I was already 7cm dilated, so no epidural or any form of drugs to help me! Goodness!

All I could do was hang on for dear life as she provided me with the gas to inhale that honestly, did not work half as helpful as I thought it would be! But anything at this moment that could help alleviate the pain even one bit worked for me, so yes I used it anyways. And then, it was time!

I was ready to deliver! I pushed. and I pushed. and I pushed with all my heart. At one point I heard Aien said "Sayang, I can see the baby's head! Push lagi sayang!" and after a few pushes, exactly at 3.03pm on the 31st May 2009 , I heard my baby's first cry! It was one of the best moments ever! Whatever pain I was feeling, completely dissapeared. And when I held him for the first time in my arms, tears of happiness welled up at my eyes and I cant help but praise the Almighty for blessing me with this beautiful prince. :)


It's been 9 months, Ahmad Aydein, and you're finally here. :)

4 comments:

.nana. said...

kak tharaaaa, nk jmpe dye.. akim dh jnji dgn nana nk bwk jmpe dye.. tp xmnyempat pon :)

Thara said...

hie nana!

thanks for dropping by ;)
hehe baby aydein dah 3 months dah pon. hari2 die tunggu nana dtg.
dtg je lah. rumah akak betol2 dpn pyramid. tapayah tunggu hakim tu. die tu mmg ampeh. :P

RieNa said...

knape abg ipar kamu tu suka buat muka pelik2???

isk, rindu sungguh kat ayun.

well, that baby is so adorable!!!

kem salam peluk cium utk aydein.

Thara said...

kak riena : abg sumi tu mmg camtu. ntah mana screw yg longgar. :P

okeh. send my love and kisses to lil nawal too! :D